Saturday, January 22, 2005

Lerg's hatter powers MSU

Freshman Bryan Lerg scored his first collegiate hat trick and sophomore goalie Dominic Vicari earned his fourth shutout of the season as Michigan State defeated Lake Superior State, 8-0, at Munn Ice Arena last night.

"I am pretty happy," said Lerg. "I have a smile on my face, but I give my linemates basically all the credit. I was just in the right spot at the right time. A goal is a goal I guess."

David Booth netted two while captain Jim Slater, Mike Lalonde and Drew Miller all scored solos. Jared Nightingale added three assists and Vicari made just 18 saves for MSU (13-11-1, 8-9-0 CCHA).

Matt Violin and Jeff Jakaitis combined to make 32 saves for LSSU (7-13-3, 6-7-2 CCHA) as each allowed four goals. Jakaitis started and took the loss.

Game time tonight back at Munn is 7:05 p.m.

No comments: