Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Spartans announce '05-06 captains

Michigan State head coach Rick Comley has announced his captains for the 2005-06 season as forward Drew Miller will serve as the team captain for the first time in his career. Wearing the "A" on their jerseys will be forward Colton Fretter and defensemen Jared Nightingale and Corey Potter.

"This is a very good group of captains; they have been the players that have provided leadership in the locker room," said Comley. "Collectively as a group, they understand the direction that our program wants to take and the path that we need to get it to the next level. They know what needs to be done."

Miller, who served as an assistant captain as a sophomore, had a breakout season offensively in 2004-05. He ranked as the team's third leading scorer with 33 points (17 goals, 16 assists) in 40 games and tied for second on the squad with a +15 plus/minus rating. His 17 goals ranks second on the squad as 16 of his 17 tallies came in CCHA play. In addition, he finished second on MSU with nine power-play markers - a total that placed him tied for ninth in the CCHA.

The East Lansing native was named MSU's Most Improved Player at the 2005 hockey banquet after tripling his offensive output from his freshman year. As a rookie in 2003-04, he picked up four goals and six assists for 10 points in 41 games while being asked to serve in a defensive forward role. Even with his offensive production, his defense never lacked during the 2004-05 season as he blocked 68 shots to lead all forwards.

"I am definitely really excited," said Miller on his selection of team captain. "I never really thought about being a captain. My goal growing up was just to play at Michigan State. I have three assistant captains who are all capable of being named captain too. I think we have good leadership for the team and we can see where it takes us next year.

"I think more of leading on the ice is my style of play. I try to go out there and give everything I have for the team and make the most happen that I can. From a vocal standpoint, I guess that is just how I was brought up. I was brought up around Michigan State hockey. A lot of the guys that I looked up to were captains and leaders on the team, watching what they did helped shape me to be more of a vocal leader and to know when to raise your voice if you have to and stay positive."

No comments: