Friday, May 27, 2005

Michigan State Spartans off-season notebook

Former Michigan State forward Rob Woodward will be a volunteer assistant coach with the Spartans this season. Woodward, who played at MSU from 1989-1993, was the head coach at Lansing Catholic Central the past five seasons.

"I'm extremely excited to come back and help coach the team that I played for," Woodward remarked. "It's bittersweet in a way. It's tough to leave Lansing Catholic Central, but this is an opportunity that I can't turn down."

Woodward will assume his duties August 1.

Defenseman A.J. Thelen, booted off the Spartans near last season's end as a disciplinary measure, will play major junior hockey this upcoming year for the Prince Albert Raiders in the Western Hockey League.

"It's (the WHL) pretty much like a mini-NHL style," Thelen told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I don't want to be like 'where am I, what am I doing?' (during the NHL lockout). My mind-set is on Prince Albert, and that's what I'm training for. If it's good enough for (Dallas Stars star) Mike Modano, who came out of there, it's good enough for me."

There is a limited number of openings for Michigan State Hockey Mite Camp (boys and girls, ages 5 to 8), which runs from June 6-9 at Munn Ice Arena. The camp runs from 6 p.m. to 7:20 p.m. each night and the cost is $140.

For more information, please contact the MSU Hockey Office at 517-355-1639. A camp brochure and online registration is available at www.sportscamps.msu.edu.

No comments: