Friday, August 11, 2006

NMU to get Anchorage transfer for '07

Winger Billy Smith has become the third player to leave the Alaska-Anchorage hockey program this offseason and transfer to another Division I team.

Smith, who will be a sophomore this fall, said he will transfer to Northern Michigan University. He'll be eligible for the 2007-2008 season.

"I just thought it would be in my best interest to pursue my career elsewhere,'' Smith said. "Nothing against the program or the coaching staff. I just thought I'd be better off elsewhere.''

Smith said he talked several times to Northern Michigan head coach Walt Kyle when he played junior hockey for the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL and was being recruited in 2004-05.

Ironically, Northern Michigan is where current UAA head coach Dave Shyiak won a national championship as a player and was a long-time assistant coach and, eventually, associate head coach before coming to UAA.

More from the Anchorage Daily News HERE.

No comments: