Monday, December 04, 2006

MSU and Ohio State split at Munn

The Michigan State Spartans won Friday night, but Ohio State rebounded for a win Saturday night to split their series.

MSU got a pair of goals and an assist from Tim Kennedy, two goals from Chris Mueller and a 24-save performance from Jeff Lerg in the 4-1 victory on Friday night at Munn Ice Arena.

"I've had a little bit of a drought this year and I'm just trying to help the team out," said Mueller. "If I can help them out on the scoreboard, that's an even bigger plus. Two good plays by guys on our team gave me the puck and I was able to put them home."

Saturday night, Ohio State scored twice shorthanded on a single minor penalty and tacked on a pair of power play tallies for their own 4-1 win. Bryan Lerg scored MSU's only goal on a power play early in the third period.

Jeff Lerg allowed three goals on 21 shots through 30:28. Freshman Bobby Jarosz (pictured) made his first home appearance and stopped 14 of 15 shots the rest of the way.

"As up as we were, I had a real good feeling after last nights game," MSU head coach Rick Comley said. "I thought we'd come in and really have some juice going but they (OSU) have a tendency to play that way and really bring everything right down. I didn't like our emotion in the first period. The play itself was OK. I think we forced things tonight. We turned the puck over more and we didn't establish things that I wanted to try to establish."

The Spartans (7-7-1, 5-5-1 CCHA) play at Northern Michigan this weekend for two CCHA contests.

No comments: