After a long summer, the teams have hit the ice and it’s the Michigan Wolverines who have grabbed the No. 1 spot in this year’s first installment of the MiCHO Power Poll.
The Maize and Blue started the year with a dramatic 4-3 overtime win over Boston College on Friday at the Ice Breaker Invitational. Saturday night they fell just short of making it two in a row as they were clipped 4-3 by the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the Ice Breaker title game at the Xcel Energy Center.
The defending National Champion Michigan State Spartans started their title defense slowly by suffering a 6-0 shutout at the hands of the top-ranked North Dakota Fighting Sioux at the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame game in Grand Forks.
1) Michigan, 1-1-0 (beat #2 Boston College, lost to #3 Minnesota))
2) Michigan State, 0-1-0 (lost to #1 North Dakota)
3) Michigan Tech, 1-1-0 (Lost to NMU, Beat LSSU)
4) Northern Michigan 1-1-0 (Beat MTU, Lost to UMD)
5) Western Michigan, 0-0-0
6) Lake Superior 0-1-1 (Tied UMD, lost to MTU)
7) Ferris State, 0-2-2 (swept at Union)
8) Wayne State, 0-2-0 (Lost to UAA and RMU)
Each week, MichiganCollegeHockey.com editors Matt Mackinder and Tom Balog will compile the MiCHO Power Poll. The poll will comprise the eight Division I teams in the State of Michigan. (National rankings and rankings in parenthesis reflect the USCHO/CSTV Division I Men's Poll)