The Michigan Wolverines continued their current roll by sweeping the UNO Mavericks on the road last weekend and for the fourth straight week the Maize and Blue are on top of the MiCHO Power Poll.
The nationally second-ranked Wolverines got a hat trick from Kevin Porter in Friday night’s 6-3 thumping of the Mavs at the Qwest Center. Porter added his fourth goal of the weekend in Saturday’s 3-2 squeaker to seal Michigan’s sixth straight victory.
Michigan State has also won six in a row after throttling the Alaska Nanooks in a pair of games at Carlson Center. Tim Kennedy paced the fourth ranked Green and White with three goals and an assist in the road sweep.
Michigan Tech rounds out the MiCHO top three as the Huskies went on the road to Madison and split with number-10 Wisconsin. MTU is the early surprise of the WCHA as the Huskies sit on top of the conference standings and come in ranked 13th nationally.
1) Michigan, 7-1-0 (swept UNO)
2) Michigan State, 6-1-0 (swept UAF)
3) Michigan Tech, 4-2-0 (split w/ #10 Wisconsin)
4) Ferris State, 4-3-1 (swept Ohio State)
5) Lake Superior 1-4-1 (swept at #12 ND)
6) Northern Michigan 1-7-0 (swept by #1 Miami)
7) Western Michigan, 2-4-0 (swept by BGSU)
8) Wayne State, 0-5-1 (idle)
Each week, MichiganCollegeHockey.com editors Matt Mackinder and Tom Balog will compile the MiCHO Power Poll. The poll will comprise the eight Division I teams in the State of Michigan. (National rankings and rankings in parenthesis reflect the USCHO/CSTV Division I Men's Poll)