Monday, December 03, 2007

Michigan's streak snapped Friday

By Matt Mackinder / Michigan Beat Writer

Michigan had their 12-game winning streak snapped Friday night at home as Ohio State and ex-Spartan Tommy Goebel came in and topped U-M, 3-2.

The Wolverines rebounded with a 4-2 win Saturday night.

Goebel recorded a shorthanded goal and a power-play marker as the Buckeyes topped Michigan despite being outshot, 30-16.

Chad Kolarik scored twice in the third period for Michigan, who got a 13-save outing from netminder Billy Sauer.

“If you do not have control of the puck, then you are on defense,” captain Kevin Porter said. “Especially when you are down in a game like this and you are trying to score goals, it is tough to lose the face-offs. You have to get the puck back first before you can go score a goal. So, it is definitely something we have to work on.”

Four freshmen scored Saturday night as Aaron Palushaj assisted on all three first-period goals for Michigan en route to the split.

Max Pacioretty scored twice for U-M and Matt Rust and Carl Hagelin added singles.

Freshman netminder Bryan Hogan stopped 26 shots in his first NCAA start and stopped a first-period penalty shot attempt by Goebel.

"The nerves got to me,” Hogan said. “I do not think I have played a game in about six months, so I was really nervous getting out there. I just tried to calm myself down (prior to the penalty shot). It was getting pretty crazy; I couldn't believe what was happening. I just had to calm myself down. I told myself that it was just a penalty shot, and I have taken them before."

Before Saturday night, the last time a penalty shot was attempted against the Maize and Blue was this past March 16, when U-M faced Michigan State in the CCHA playoffs. However, the last time an opponent scored on a penalty shot was March 2, 1997 – 451 games ago.

Michigan (14-2-0 , 9-1-0 CCHA) will travel this weekend to begin a home-and-home series with Bowling Green.

No comments: