How do you keep a firm grasp of the top spot in the MiCHO Power Poll? It's pretty easy really. All you need to do is go on the road and smack around the #1 team in college hockey on their home ice. If you can do that then you're the undisputed top dog in the State of Michigan.
That's exactly what the newly crowned national #1 Michigan Wolverines did over the weekend as they rolled into Oxford, Ohio and handed the Miami Red Hawks a 4-2 thrashing and 5-5 tie.
The Michigan State Spartans suffered their first road sweep of the season as they traveled north and hit a buzz saw in Marquette. The Northern Michigan Wildcats surprised the defending national champs with a 3-1 beating at the BEC on Friday and then followed it up by blanking the Green and White 3-0 on Saturday.
Ferris State continued their roller coaster year by splitting on the road at then #8 Notre Dame to secure fourth place in this week's poll. Other movement saw Lake Superior and Western Michigan swapping the bottom two rungs after the Lakers took 3 of 4 points from the Broncos in K'Zoo.
1) Michigan, 23-3-4 (took 3 of 4 pts from Miami)
2) Michigan State, 18-8-5 (swept by NMU)
3) Northern Michigan, 12-15-3 (swept MSU)
4) Ferris State, 11-12-5 (split at #9 Notre Dame)
5) Michigan Tech, 10-13-3 (tied/lost to #10 Wisconsin)
6) Wayne State, 8-20-2 (swept at RMU)
7) Lake Superior, 6-16-6 (tied/beat WMU)
8) Western Michigan, 7-20-3 (tied/lost to LSSU)
Each week, MichiganCollegeHockey.com editors Matt Mackinder and Tom Balog will compile the MiCHO Power Poll. The poll will comprise the eight Division I teams in the State of Michigan.