Tuesday, April 01, 2008

MSU captain signs with Oilers

Compiled by MiCHO Staff

The Edmonton Oilers signed free agent forward Bryan Lerg from Michigan State University to a two-year deal today.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pound native of Livonia scored 20 goals and 19 assists in 42 games this year for the Spartans.

“This is every hockey player’s dream – to have an opportunity to play in the National Hockey League," Lerg said. "It's been my dream since I first put on skates at two years old and I'm very excited about the opportunity to go out and prove myself. I’d like to thank the Oilers for giving me this chance, and I could not be happier to be in their organization.

"I’d also like to thank everyone at Michigan State, not just within the hockey staff, but everyone at the university. My career at Michigan State allowed me not only to win a national championship, but also to be a part of one of the best college experiences and hockey programs in the nation. I cannot imagine a better place to have spent my last four years.”

Lerg, MSU's captain in 2007-08 and an alternate captain in '06-07, was a member of the U.S. National Team Development Program from 2002-2004 and just completed his senior season with Michigan State last weekend with a loss to Notre Dame in the NCAA West Regional in Colorado Springs.

Photo courtesy Michigan State Athletics

No comments: