Saturday, June 07, 2008

MSU's Vukovic signs Swiss pro deal

Compiled by MiCHO Staff

Senior Michigan State defenseman Daniel Vukovic has signed a three-year professional contract with the Genève-Servette Hockey Club in Geneva, Switzerland.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“I’m really excited that I’ve found a home – sounds like a perfect fit for me, and it’s a great atmosphere to play in. It’s an exciting time for me and my family,” noted the blueliner. “I’ve talked to many former players who played in Europe during the NHL lockout, and from everything I have heard, this experience will help me grow as a hockey player and as a person.

“I have to thank the coaches and staff at Michigan State for not only bringing me into the program, but in developing me as a player for four years. Without them, I would not have the opportunities I do as a hockey player. My four years were an unbelieveable experience and I am proud to be a Spartan.”

Vukovic served as an alternate captain as a senior and capped his career with his best offensive season while helping lead the Spartans to the West Regional Final. An Honorable Mention All-CCHA selection, Vukovic put up 22 points on a career-best 19 assists and two goals. The Spartan defense ranked fifth nationally in scoring (2.56 points per game), and also finished the season 12th nationally in team defense (2.22 goals per game). Vukovic, primarily a stay-at-home defenseman whose offensive game blossomed in his junior and senior seasons, was named the team’s Most Improved Player after his junior campaign, and finished his career with 11 goals and 28 assists for 39 points in 147 career games.

While the Swiss National League limits rosters to five foreign players, Vukovic holds both Canadian and Swiss passports, and therefore will be eligible to play in the 2008-09 season.

GSHC participates in the Swiss National League, (Nationalliga A), the top tier of the Swiss league system and of the two-tier National League. This past spring, Genève-Servette reached the Swiss National League A final for the first time in its history, defeating HC Fribourg-Gottéron in the semifinals.

No comments: