Monday, February 23, 2009

MSU gains split with Bowling Green

By Matt Mackinder/Michigan State Beat Writer

After Michigan State extended their unbeaten streak to five games Friday night at home against Bowling Green, the road wasn't as kind Saturday night as the Falcons came back with a decisive shutout versus the Spartans.

In Friday night's 3-2 win at Munn Ice Arena, Daultan Leveille and Brock Shelgren (first NCAA goal) scored in a 26-second span six minutes into the third period to come from behind and get the win.

"I think I was coming in from a line change and they tried chipping it out and it was just right there for me," said Shelgren of his goal, also the game-winner. "I just wound up and tried to put it on net and it went in for me. I watched it go in, but I was still surprised, it being my first college goal and everything."

Matt Schepke scored MSU's first goal and Jeff Lerg made 35 saves.

Saturday night, BGSU took a 4-0 win.

Lerg made 32 saves to extend his streak of games with 29 or more saves to 16 games. He needs just 18 more saves to pass Glenn Healy (Western Michigan) for the all-time CCHA record.

Junior forward Jacob Schering, who joined the team less than two weeks ago, dressed in his first collegiate game for the Spartans. The Trenton native drew a penalty in the second period.

Michigan State (10-19-5, 7-15-4-3 CCHA) wraps up the regular season with a home-and-home series with Notre Dame next weekend. The teams face off Friday in South Bend and then on Saturday in East Lansing.

No comments: