Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wolverines split with Miami

Michigan settled for a split last weekend against defending CCHA regular-season champion Miami at Yost Ice Arena.

Thursday night, down 1-0 after 20 minutes, the Wolverines scored three goals in the second period and added three more in the third for a 6-3 victory over the RedHawks in the CCHA opener for both teams.

Chad Kolarik (pictured) registered a hat trick for the second straight game, while David Rohlfs chipped in a goal and assisted on Kevin Porter's go-ahead tally that put Michigan in the lead for good at 3-2.

"I think (the puck) hit the inside of the post," said Kolarik of his third goal. "(Andrew) Cogliano made a nice play. I can't believe I got (a hat trick) two nights in a row. My parents were here tonight, and it was the first time they have ever seen me get a hat trick. I actually want to take (that last goal) back. I wanted to pass it to T.J. (Hensick) there. I felt pretty selfish to take it all the way by myself. Hensick was ahead of me and I should have passed it. I said I was sorry, (but) I think he is a little upset with me."

Cogliano also scored for U-M and Billy Sauer made 22 saves in goal.

Michigan was held scoreless until late in the third period, while Miami scored a power-play goal and two shorthanded tallies in a 4-1 loss Friday night.

Jack Johnson's tally at 18:25 of the third period avoided the shutout.

"We all have to take responsibility for tonight," said U-M head coach Red Berenson. "Working: it's not a gift, it's not a skill, it's an expectation from everyone. We got outworked from the start of the game to the end of the game and in every department. Were we close, well, there were times we could have gotten back in the game. Porter missed an open net when it was 1-0, and we could have tied the game, and maybe, maybe, maybe. But it wasn't our night."

Sauer finished with 27 stops.

Michigan will face non-conference opponent Northeastern on Friday and Saturday in Ann Arbor. Both games are scheduled to begin at 7:35 pm. Saturday's game will be televised by Comcast Local.

No comments: