Sunday, October 12, 2008

Michigan sweeps aside St. Lawrence

By Matt Mackinder/Michigan Beat Writer

Michigan is off to a 2-0 start after sweeping a game St. Lawrence squad over the weekend at Yost Ice Arena.

Friday night, the Wolverines came from behind and took a 4-3 win on a goal by Tim Miller at 17:27 of the third period.

U-M's other goal scorers were Ben Winnett, Carl Hagelin and Chad Langlais, who tallied his first career goal. Eric Elmblad also assisted on Miller's goal for his first career point.

"Well, first of all, it was just a great pass by (Matt) Rust - good patience by him," said Langlais. "And I just wanted to get in on net. It wasn't anything special."

Billy Sauer made 28 saves and Rust had two assists.

Last night, Aaron Palushaj tallied a pair of goals, including the game-winner, while Langlais and Robbie Czarnik both added two helpers in a 5-3 victory. His game-winner came on a nice individual effort with 4:01 to play.

"I picked the puck up at center ice when I had some speed and I just put it under the defenseman's stick," Palushaj said. "I was going to take him wide, but he just stepped up, so I just put it back through his legs. Then he tried to trip me, so I used a bit of my soccer skills and picked it back up with my stick. Then I somehow just put it in the net."

Tristin Llewellyn scored his first collegiate goal for Michigan and Louie Caporusso and Brian Lebler also scored.

Bryan Hogan stopped 15 shots for the win.

"I thought he played well at times," Michigan head coach Red Berenson said. "I know he will be frustrated about some of the goals. A couple of the goals were not even scoring chances, but they found their way in. It is tough for a goalie when you give up those types of goals. Otherwise, I liked his poise. I liked his game."

The Maize and Blue will kick off CCHA play with a pair of contests at Northern Michigan on Oct. 17-18, but will be without the services of top defenseman and captain Mark Mitera, who was injured Friday night when he collided with Saints forward Augie DiMarzo and appeared to favor his knee.

"The news is not good on the MRI with Mitera," said Berenson. "He and his family will make a decision in the next two weeks on whether he will rehab it or operate on it."

Photo by UM Photo Services

No comments: