Thursday, November 13, 2008

Marquette native verbals to UConn

Marquette Rangers forward James Gallagher has become the second Rangers player this week to make a verbal commitment to play NCAA Division I hockey. The third-year Ranger and Marquette native has agreed to play for the University of Connecticut, a member of the 10-school Atlantic Hockey Association, for the 2009-10 season.

”It feels great,” Gallagher said. “It’s nice to know where I’m going to play next after the long journey here. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to playing college hockey next year at UConn.”

Gallagher added that the Huskies were late arriving in the recruiting process.

“They first contacted me at the NAHL Showcase in Blaine (Minn.) and have been in contact with me ever since," said Gallagher. "I went for a visit a few weeks ago, liked what I saw, I liked the coaches so to make the commitment to go there was easy.”

One of three original Rangers still with the team, Gallagher, 20, is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the organization with 88 points on 35 goals and 53 assists. The 6-foot, 185-pound forward leads the team in scoring this season as well with five goals and 11 assists for 16 points. He is also serving as an assistant captain for the Rangers this season.

Rangers head coach Kenny Miller says it’s a great opportunity for Gallagher and that UConn should be a very good fit.

“We’re all really happy for Jimmy," Miller said. "He’s a guy who’s worked hard over the past three years in this organization to get this opportunity and I know he’ll go out there and represent our team and our league very well. It’s something I know he and his family are very proud of, as are all of us here.”

Photo by Daryl Jarvinen

No comments: