The Michigan Wolverines start 2009 where they ended 2008 and that's at the top of the MiCHO Power Poll by virtue of their Great Lakes Invitational championship won at Joe Louis Arena on Dec. 29.
The poll remains unchanged at the top as Ferris State retains the No. 2 spot and Lake Superior State sits comfortably in third. Michigan State falls to No. 5 and is replaced by Northern Michigan, fresh off their sweep of Wisconsin. Western Michigan is now back in the basement and flip-flops with Michigan Tech.
1) Michigan, 13-7-0 (won GLI)
2) Ferris State, 9-9-9 (third at Catamount Cup)
3) Lake Superior State, 5-8-7 (second at Badger Showdown)
4) Northern Michigan, 5-12-3 (swept Wisconsin)
5) Michigan State, 6-13-3 (split with Alaska)
6) Michigan Tech, 5-15-2 (third at GLI)
7) Western Michigan, 3-12-5 (third at Dodge Classic)
Each week, MichiganCollegeHockey.com editors Matt Mackinder and Tom Balog will compile the MiCHO Power Poll. The poll will comprise the seven Division I teams in the state of Michigan.